Simple64 has been my N64 emulator of choice for the past few years, as I loved its accuracy with N64 games (using the Parallel64 renderer). However, its input lag has been frustrating, especially when replaying games like Paper Mario that require precision timing.
The emulator’s author has discontinued Simple64 for his all new emulator Gopher64, which remains accurate but is rewritten from the ground up to not be based on Mupen64. I gave it a go, and it felt more responsive to play, while still being visually accurate. It even came with a CRT filter!
However, the save files were not compatible (since Simple64, much like Mupen64 and other emulators write their save files in reverse little-endian format, while Gopher64 instead writes them like the original N64 did, in big-endian format). But after using an online tool to convert the files, I was able to pick up right where I left off with my save files.
Very nice!
Comments